Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Writing an email is harder than it looks.

Okay, I literally just spent an hour and change staring at an email on my computer screen. I found a fellow college alum on the networking sight LinkedIn who works at a company that I'd like to work for. So I embarked on another blind-email scheme, and began to draft an email to this woman, explaining who I was, how I found her, and what I wanted from her.

That was the easy part.

The not-so-easy-part, believe it or not, was the subject line. I mean, it's crucial to get this part right. What you say, or what you don't say, can impact whether or not a person ever opens the email! It's truly unbelievable how many emails I have written over the years that have gone unacknowledged. Maybe my subject-writing skills are poor.

I must've gone over ten different options in my head. Do I write, "Fellow [college] alum looking for career advice?" Or, do I say, "LinkedIn referral?" Ultimately, I went with, "Marketing professional / Job inquiry." Who knows if that's going to do the trick?

Only time will tell. Until then, I'll sit here and wait... and, of course, write more fun emails and ponder why no one bothers to respond these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment