Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Human Resources = un-resourceful.

I realize that "unresourceful" has yet to find a place in the dictionary, but no other word seems to do this post justice. I have come to find over the years that these so-called "gatekeepers" are, more often than not, incredibly unhelpful.

Take scenario one: I had just graduated from college and was interviewing for a job at Citigroup. Four interviews deep, I was told I'd hear by "early next week." Early next week came and went, as did the next week, and the next. I followed up two times with both HR and the people that I interviewed with, and still, silence.

To this day, I never heard back from Citi.

Imagine my disbelief. And yet, this sort of thing has since become an unfortunate pattern in my life.

Take scenario 150: Back in January, I interviewed for a job at NBC. My dream job. I don't usually get nervous for interviews, but this one was different. I was a ball of nerves, and it showed. Needless to say, I knew it didn't go so well, and I was expecting to hear that I would not be moving on in the interview process.

And yet, weeks went by without hearing anything. I followed up with the woman I interviewed with three times. And as I sit here, three months later, I'm still unknowing about what happened to the job. I never heard back from the woman.

I can't for the life of me wrap my head around these situations. Though it may take me a day or two, I will always respond to an email or voice message. Who are you to deem yourself so important that you feel entitled to ignore me? Are you just THAT busy that you can't find two minutes to email me back with a simple, "Yes" or "No"?

It begs the inevitable question... really? REALLY?

No comments:

Post a Comment